Wednesday 27 July 2011

You're not really a leader until...

I was recently watching the film "The Core" when I heard this dialogue.


Col. Robert Iverson: Being a leader isn't about ability. It's about responsibility.
Maj. Rebecca Childs: Got it, sir.
Col. Robert Iverson: No you don't, Beck. I mean, you're not just responsible for the good ones. You've got to be responsible for the bad ones. You've got to be ready to make the shitty call.
Maj. Rebecca Childs: What makes you think I'm not?
Col. Robert Iverson: Because you're so damn good. You haven't hit anything you couldn't beat. I mean, hell, you were the one who figured out how to save the space shuttle. You made me, you made the rest of NASA just look like an ass. It's just you're used to winning... and you're not really a leader until you've lost.

Couldn't have put it better myself; so I won't.

Please see my website at www.managingforthefirsttime.com for more techniques, tips and advice on this topic and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment